A self-hosted WordPress blog is the best and most popular type of blog. The tiny cost (along with a money-back guarantee) makes it a no-brainer. It takes minutes to set up and no technical experience is required.
You need just two things: self hosting + WordPress. Hosting puts your blog online. WordPress puts your words in blog form. Here’s how to get both at once:
- Click here to go to Bluehost (<– that link gets you a discount) and hit the Get Started button.
- Select the Choice Plus plan.
- Enter the domain name you want to use (i.e. websitehowto.com).
- Enter your account information.
- Choose an account plan based on how far in advance you want to pay.
- Skip the package extras.
- Complete your purchase then choose a password and log in to your Bluehost account.
- Answer (or skip) the onboarding questions. Add a blog when asked.
- Choose the Kadence theme. It’s free, safe and customizable.
- From your Bluehost dashboard, click the WordPress button in the top right. You’ll be taken to your WordPress dashboard.
That’s it! You have a blog (as part of your WordPress website) just like bloggers everywhere.
What’s next? Complete your full website setup (skip to #2).
What’s the difference between a blog and a website?
A blog is a type of website, like a journal is a type of book. Regular updates (blog posts) are the distinguishing factor.
What’s the difference between a self-hosted WordPress blog and one that’s not?
Self hosted means you buy your own hosting, giving you way more control. (It’s sometimes referred to as a WordPress.org blog.) The alternative is signing up for a free hosted WordPress blog at WordPress.com. Not recommended. You’ll be limited. Did you start on WordPress.com? No worries. How to move from WordPress.com to WordPress.org.
Is WordPress better than Squarespace, Wix, Blogger, etc.?
It depends on what you mean by “better” but overall? Yes. WordPress (self-hosted, not WordPress.com) is by far the most popular type of blog and is used by big and small bloggers alike. It dominates similar platforms like Squarespace, Wix and Blogger.
How can I make money blogging?
The 5 ways to make money online can be applied to any blog, but the best way to make money directly from the content on your blog is to have a niche blog. A niche blog is about a very specific topic. Project 24 is the best resource I’ve found for niche blogging.
Can I start a blog for free?
Yes, but if you want to make money, I don’t recommend it. You’ll have limited income-making ability, lack of control, lack of support, only basic features and if you want to switch later, it’s a hassle. Start off right. If you’ve already started a free blog, use Bluehost’s free migration service.